Sunday, June 22, 2014

Revisiting The Hunchback of Notre Dame

My all time favorite Disney movie, The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996). This movie was just kickass! Esmeralda was my top favorite Disney Heroine! I still lover her! She is just awesome and Quasimodo is just so cute :3 I personally think Esmeralda is the prettiest Disney Heroine of all!


Summary: Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame is based off of one Victor Hugo's greastest literature pieces known as Notre Dame de Paris. The Disney plot is a little bit different from Victor Hugo's but overall the story follows the deformed hunchback Quasimodo who lives in the bell tower of Notre Dame. He was raised by the cruel Judge Claude Frollo who warns him to never leave the safety of the church. Quasimodo tired of his loneliness then decides to venture out into the city of Paris during it's Festival of Fools day where he befriends gypsy, Esmeralda. 

Childhood Point of View: As a child this movie confused me greatley, I had no idea what was going on but I liked it! The notion about death and sexuality totally went over my head and certain parts of the movie kinda of weirded me out. 

  • Music: The music was fun from what I remember but not as good as The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, and Mulan. My favorite song was Topsy Turvy and Bells of Notre Dame. When the song Hellfire went on, I was just "like huh?", "this is weird..."


  • Characters: Quasimodo and Esmeralda were my favorite! I kinda of wanted them to end up together because Quasimodo loved her and he deserved to have some kind of happiness! Though the two of them together was just so cute and innocent. The gargoyles were also on my top list Victor, Hugo, and Laverne (fun fact the two gargoyles were named after author Victor Hugo). The three of them together was just so funny. 

  • Message: Never judge a book by its cover.... ? I don't recall ever understanding the message of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, this movie lost me towards the end. 


Adult Point of View: Holy crap this movie was dark! I understood everything form the beginning to the end! This movie definitly crafted the innocents for a child to understand while the movies whole disposition was obscure to the strong sexual energy given off by Judge Frollo.

  • Music: The music is still good but not something kids could sing along to. My new favorite song from rewatching it, Heaven's Light/Hellfire. Again definitly contrast the innocents and darkness of the two main characters. Quasimodo's love for Esmeralda/Frollo's lust for Esmeralda. 
favorite foreshadowed lyric from the begining: Who is the monster and who is the man?
  • Characters: Phoebus and Frollo had worked my into my heart! Well mostly Phoebus because he was the most down to earth guy in the whole film! He knew right from wrong and loved Esmeralda not as an angel like Quasimodo or viewed her as the devil like Frollo but overall Phoebus treated Esmeralda like a true equal that he admired. On that note, Frollo's whole lustfull aria was just wow... especially for a kids' movie of all places. The song was just filled with lyrics that translated into my head as you're hot, I want you, let's do it or else I'll kill you. I could understand how this song could go over a lot of kids' head while the parents are soaking in any damages left behind. 

  • Message: I still don't know the message to be honest... I mean the monster was Frollo and the man was Quasimodo... other than that I got nothing...
Sexual

ah-what?

Lustfull

No comments:

Post a Comment